When we want the best, we often lean towards choosing products for our home and skin that are organic, natural and sustainable. Organic products help us limit the chemicals we’re exposed to and can stop toxins affecting the environment.
But, at the back of our minds is often the question “Is it worth buying organic beauty and home products?” We wonder if they’re really as good as other products or just an expensive alternative with no actual benefit.
Let’s start by explaining what organic actually means
The label ‘Organic’ means a product or ingredient is grown or made without using artificial chemicals.
‘Certified organic’ means that the product has been tested by a regulated body (like BioGrow or Assure Quality), and no man-made chemicals or genetic modifications have been used in the whole process of creating the product. More than that, certified organic products have to be fully traceable so all steps of the process are ensured to be organic.
Why choose organic beauty and home products?
Many people choose organic beauty and home products to reduce the amount of chemicals they’re exposed to. People are worried that certain chemicals may harm their health or contribute to allergies. Nowadays, we’re also concerned about the effect of chemicals in the environment, and the consequences to plant and animal life in New Zealand and around the world.
Is it worth buying organic skincare and home products?
The thought of piling chemicals onto our body may seem unappealing, but that’s what we do every day when we don’t choose organic products. Here are three great reasons why we think it’s worth buying organic.
- The quality of organic products is often better. Because organic beauty products don’t use chemicals, they’re carefully formulated with bioactives, natural oils and other ingredients. So the products contain a higher quantity of quality ingredients.
- A little goes a long way. Again, because cheap filler ingredients aren’t being used, organic products are packed with high concentrations of superior quality ingredients meaning a little goes a long way and products last a long time.
- Choosing organic reduces your chemical exposure. Even if products do contain non-organic ingredients, balancing them out with organic ingredients can reduce the total amount of chemicals you’re exposed to every day.
What are the top 5 home and skincare chemicals to avoid
Just because it’s approved for use, doesn’t mean it’s the best choice to make.
Here are our top 5 chemicals to avoid:
- Parabens. Parabens are preservatives commonly found in beauty and skincare products. They’re used to extend the shelf life of products. Parabens may be useful, but studies show they can affect fertility, hormones and increase skin cancer risk. So the less parabens you’re exposed to the better.
- Phthalates. Are used in personal care products, makeup and household cleaners and packages. Phthalates heve been linked to a range of health conditions, including cancers, neurodevelopmental problems and fertility issues.
- Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sufate (SLS). Is common in shampoo, cleansers and cleaning products. Too much exposure to SLS can be linked to skin irritation. Sulfates washed down the drain may also be toxic to the environment.
- Triclosan. Is often added to toothpaste and antibacterial products, although in 2016 triclosan was banned from some products in the US. Triclosan is thought to affect hormones and is a suspected carcinogen (may cause cancer). It’s also toxic to algae and fish.
- Formaldehyde. Can be found in nail polish, makeup, hair products and fabrics as a preservative. Formaldeyde in bodycare products has been linked to skin irritation.
So, is it worth buying organic beauty and home products?
We think so.
I’ve been choosing organic for over 15 years. I love beautiful smells, active ingredients, but wanted to ensure that what I was using was not only good for me but good for the planet too.
As time went on I realised that it wasn't just what we put on our body that influenced our health, but what we put on our skin too. When my dad passed away from skin cancer it made me very conscious of what I put on my skin.
This started my search to find the best products to help your health and wellbeing. Products with the highest quality ingredients, ethical, that taste good, feel good and really work!
We know you want organic, natural and sustainable products for your body, health and home. Products that work and don't harm.
When you want the best, organic products are what you reach for. Ready to explore our products?